Sunday, June 4, 2017

☂ Book Review: Rain--A Natural & Cultural History by Cynthia Barnett ☂

Hello ladies and gents
I have acquired quite a read a few months back, it's one that kept me flipping back and forth to reread passages and information over and over again. 

I have been fascinated by the concept of "Rain" ever since I was a child.
I used to dance in it, splashing my heels in puddles--just about everything was done in or around rain. 

I seen this book and knew it was a must-have and must-read as soon as my fingers planted on the pages. 

I was sent this book from "Blogging For Books" with it wrapped nicely, packaged so well!
Rain: A Natural & Cultural History by Cynthia Barnett is a book that you can't just read once.
It's rather a guide-book for reference or to further your educated mind about the histories and ideas behind something so mundane as a little rain!

Inside you will find just about everything associated with it. 
Deeply informative with all sorts of delicious mentions--From areas of the world that have flooded, to the ancient beliefs that the rain-gods needed human sacrifices to sustain life. 
My personal favorite among the many mentions would have to be in India where villagers extract the scent of rain from the monsoon-drenched earth and turn it into perfume.

Apparently, D. Hann packed my book! Thanks person!
From praying, worshiping, to even burning witches in the name of rain--this book has it all. 
It's much like she spent a good lifetime researching and building up a profile merely based on rain just to construct it all into a lovely coffee-table book to read. 

 A book of this magnitude, you'd think it would overflow and confuse the reader with a ton of intense facts--but I beg to differ. It's a type of read that allows you to coast between facts, sweetly and gently. Allowing yourself enough pause-moments to reflect and think on what you just learned. You will surely stop to wonder or think twice on a subject but it's not one of those books that will leave you guessing or scratching your head. 

Such a beautiful book, cover and all!
I truly am in utter love with this book. 
I thought I loved the look and even the scent of rain before, now I have a bit of reasoning behind my obsession. 
If you are a rain-lover, I highly suggest you give this book a glance over. 
You will be quite amazed with the end results.

If you'd like to purchase this book, follow the link HERE!
Also, if you are interested in Blogging For Books, check them out HERE!

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment